Thursday, January 31, 2008

In his own words

Jesus continued to talk to the leaders who had accused him of working on the day of rest.

"I tell you, anyone who hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life, and does not come under judgment, but has passed from death to life."
Very truly, I tell you," said Jesus, "the hour is coming, and is now here, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God, and those who hear will live. For just as the Father has life in himself, so he has granted the Son also to have life in himself; and he has given him authority to execute judgment, because he is the Son of Man. Do not be astonished at this; for the hour is coming when all who are in their graves will hear his voice and will come out—those who have done good, to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil, to the resurrection of condemnation. I can do nothing on my own. As I hear, I judge; and my judgment is just, because I seek to do not my own will but the will of him who sent me."
"The works that the Father has given me to complete, " said Jesus, "the very works that I am doing, testify on my behalf that the Father has sent me. And the Father who sent me has himself testified on my behalf. You have never heard his voice or seen his form, and you do not have his word abiding in you, because you do not believe him whom he has sent.
I have come in my Father’s name, and you do not accept me; if another comes in his own name, you will accept him. How can you believe when you accept glory from one another and do not seek the glory that comes from the one who alone is God?"

The leaders who had accused him of breaking the law and blaspheming were not able to take any action. Large crowds followed Jesus wherever he went. The crowds watched as he healed every kind of sickness, and everyone who asked. Truly no one could do these things unless he was sent from God, surely God had come to them and was saving them from the condition into which they had been born and had lived. Jesus was reversing the effects of sin and restoring to people that sense of union with God which they had thought was lost forever.

John chapter 5: verses 22-45 (parts ommitted)

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home