Thursday, January 10, 2008

"I don't believe in God."

My Christmas began on December the 19 and lasted until January 10. One of the happiest I have ever had. (Four and a half years ago I thought I would never be happy again)

This Christmas more than previous ones, I have been confronted by people celebrating Christmas but finding it necessary to explain that they don't believe in God. One was a parent at a children's party who explained the religious meaning of Christmas traditions. When asked which church she belonged to, she casually replied, "Athiest." The other two occasions were two of my own grandchildren, both under ten years old (They have more missionaries, clergy and preachers in their combined family tree than I can count) who stated in a friendly conversational way that they don't believe in God.

After I had learnt to hide the shock and sorrow. I was somewhat amused to hear one their uncles trying to make Christianity more appealing by telling them that there are other ways of being a Christian besides going to Sunday morning worship and being bored. It was certainly a way of lowering tension for the grandchildren, but do you have to insult Sunday worship in order to help people know God? I didn't do as 'well' as he did; my first unguarded unprepared reaction was to turn to the child's father and say, "What are you teaching your children?" Shock and accusation do not lower tension either. Only Old Testament prophets are allowed to be shocked and accusing, modern day prophets must learn to speak nicely, (Like Jesus always did?)

Wondering around the religious section of Borders book shop I noticed that they shelve books about atheism alongside religious books. Perhaps atheism is becoming or, has always been, a religion.

What does it matter? Does God care? Does it really matter to God whether a group of humans living their own lives their own way believe in him? Isn 't it rather conceited to think that what one, or even millions of those humans believe can have any affect on the ultimate reality of the universe?

The book on atheism that I picked up stated why atheism is becoming more popular, "Religion poisons everything." it stated. I read the first chapter and then got bored (A nice way of getting my own revenge on that person who said worship was boring.) I shall go back to the book, I wouldn't mind doing a study group on it. Why? Because it points out the many failures of religion, and alerts the religious to the dangers that are inherent in any man made system of belief.

Believing is hard. Belief is not as easy as climbing a mountain and finding out what is at the top. It is not just a decision; choice alone cannot learn something which is totally 'other' to us. Faith involves choice but it is not solely choice. Faith is a gift, why doesn't God give the gift to everyone who asks? Well, how can they ask except they believe?

I know who I have believed, says the Apostle Paul, and am convinced that he is able to keep what has been committed to him. Perhaps the current surge in atheism is not as deadly and destructive as it seems to be. Maybe it's just the necessary work of separating faith in God from faith in religion. Perhaps the most important thing just now is for the believers in God and the unbelievers in God to work together to find out why it is that faith in God frequently becomes justification for hatred and violence. Perhaps it is time for the people who believe in God to practice blessing more than they inadvertantly practice cursing, but who will teach us?True blessing involves both attitude and action, besides words. How can we learn to bless so that God becomes known? We need a church to help us. If only our churches were not so busy denouncing the acts of unbelievers. If only they could become vulnerable enough to teach the skill of being an act and attitude of blessing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home