Monday, December 03, 2007

You, God, have made me glad

Right now, not in the after-life but now and here. You, God, have made me glad. You have caused me to rejoice. How did you do that God? Not by making me that way, I was born like the rest of humanity into a world filled with arguments that got heated and people who got hasty. Unkind words bruised me from my early years, and my own inabilities frustrated me from the time I began to have desires. In spite of these things I rejoice. You gave me David, my best friend, my pastor, my guide and helper: and then you took him away and I expected to follow but did not. In spite of these things I rejoice. Because you have made me happy.
This happiness which is a result of your unceasing involvement in my life is a sample of what the rest of my living will be with you.
Because you have changed me in this way I have evidence that you are the Great Restorer. You are slowly, sometimes imperceptibly, restoring the likeness of God in humanity. I have received from you a loyalty which I can rely on. You have sent all people out on this journey called life, and have placed us in this deformed and broken environment we call our world. You have not said that we will not suffer but you have said that you will always answer us when we call for help. You have said that you will continually stay with those of us who request you to. Because I have experienced your trustworthiness when I called for help, because I experienced your kindness when I was longing for a friend; because of these things I have confidence in you for all the future. Your love will not let me cease to exist, and you have said that you have a plan to remove all that breaks or makes sad. Life is a journey, and often I fear the next step; where will I journey, and what will happen that I cannot prevent? But I look at my past and see that joys I never dreamed of have happened to me. I have come to places I did not think I would ever reach. You have been good to me, and your prophets and your followers tell me you will always be good. Therefore I sing praises to you and declare your loving kindness. May the sorrowful traveller hear and and may the longing lonely know that you are a friend who helps us when we can help ourselves and when we cannot help ourselves.

Psalm 92 (extracts) It is good to give thanks to the Lord, to sing praises, to declare his loving kindness and his faithfulness every morning and every night. For you, Lord, have made me glad through your work; I will overcome through the actions of your hands.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home