Monday, September 11, 2006

Don't keep us in suspense.

“Don’t keep us in suspense, just tell us right now, are you the Savior of the World?”

“I’ve already told you, you don’t believe it. I am sent by my Father in Heaven to give you good news of his kingdom.”

Who wants to hear that? What the people questioning Jesus wanted to hear was that Jesus would save them in a political way; overcome their enemies, give them riches, make them rulers over the rest of the nations.

“You don’t hear my voice,” said Jesus to the people thronging round him, “because you don’t hear God’s voice. You don’t want to know God, therefore you cannot know me.”

“I have worked signs among you, every one of them showing you what God is like, every one of them evidence of the fact that I and my Father are one.” Consider the signs; I have healed the sick, fed the hungry, subdued storms at sea, and forgiven sins. All of these miracles show that God wants to heal, feed, protect and forgive you.

The people listening seized on one thing; Jesus had said, “I and my Father are one.” That was blasphemy. What an easy way out of the situation, denounce Jesus, attack him. That would stop him from offering them knowledge about God when all they wanted, or thought they needed, was power and possessions.

It’s different today; most people have seen and are convinced of the futility of power and possessions. Around the world the greater part of humanity is seeking spiritual connectedness.

“People come to me because my Father sends them to me,’ said Jesus, “and people come to know God through me. They recognize that my voice is the voice of God’s messenger, and they follow what I have taught them. I know every one of them individually. I give them spiritual life now and spiritual life does not end. They are safe, I hold them in my hand, my Father holds them in his hand, and no one can snatch them away from our loving care.”
The listeners picked up stones to stone him to death, Jesus asked them, “I have done many good works, for which of these works are you stoning me?” But then he left them. He went back to the other side of the river where John the Baptist had preached. Many people came, seeking spiritual connectedness, they listened and believed; some of them became rich and ethical, some became contented and ethical. Today they continue to live in contact with God in the spiritual life that does not end.

The Gospel of John, chapter 10: verses 22-41

1 Comments:

Blogger Jessie Coates said...

You ask if you have your own choice of response to Jesus. Yes you can choose how to respond. It is very interesting that after a peson has chosen to believe what Jesus says; they, then, realize the whole of their decision was dependent upon God himself; because it is God who comes seeking his loved children; who breaths his spirit into our spiritually dead selves so that we become capable of responding. There is no compulsion, but there is a great drawing power, that is God himself who wills that you will not perish without him but be united with him in the way he has made possible through Jesus. Jessie

Thursday, 14 September, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home